The region’s peak business organisation, Business Hunter has welcomed the latest round of economic stimulus packages from the NSW Government, focused squarely on regional recovery.
Business Hunter CEO, Bob Hawes, said the NSW Treasurer had announced a $200 million Regional Recovery suite of funding programs aimed at injecting sorely needed stimulus into regional NSW.
$200 million Regional Recovery Package includes:
- $30 million for the Regional Job Creation Fund Round Two (to be open for applications in early 2022)
- $50 million Regional Events Package, including;
- $20 million Regional Events Acceleration Fund Round Two (to be open for applications in early 2022)
- $5 million Country Shows support package
- $25 million Reconnecting Regional NSW: Community Events Package
- $40 million for priority infrastructure projects across Regional NSW.
“A targeted economic stimulus package is the right move for regional NSW. On first read this looks like it will be spreading the benefits widely and there are many Hunter-specific opportunities for uptake that we need to make sure get the attention of the government,” said Mr Hawes.
“The bulk of the funding comes up for grabs in early 2022, so we’ll be using the time between now and then to ensure regional interests are in a state of readiness to apply for and secure funding to build Hunter job opportunities, activate our community life and deliver much needed infrastructure to the region,” Mr Hawes said.
“The hospitality, tourism and entertainment sectors have suffered immensely over the past two years, and we want to make sure that the appropriate funding packages are funneled toward the Hunter businesses and operators that have been hit the hardest.